- · ¼ pound pancetta, diced
- · 1 yellow onion diced fine
- · 1 ½ cups Arborio rice-Acquerello Rice is preferred.
- · ½ cup white wine
- · 1 pound various fresh greens like; Chard, Kale, Arugula, Salad Greens, Fennel tops, herbs, Turnip or Beet Greens
- · 4oz Butter
- · 6oz (or more to taste) Parmigiano-Reggiano grated
Cook the stock/brodo in advance, strain and have simmering while you cook the risotto. You may also use water. If you want to be a bit fancier, put in the rind from your Parmigiano Reggiano! Blanch the greens in a large pot of salted boiling water until tender. Drain, squeeze dry and rough chop them. Slowly render out the pancetta in a little piece of the butter. Add the diced onion and cook until it becomes translucent. Add the rice, increase the heat and cook a couple minutes longer. Add the wine and cook until it’s evaporated. Constantly stirring, add the hot brodo until the rice is almost tender. Add the greens and finish with the rest of the butter and the Parmigiano-Reggiano. Add more brodo or cook longer to get the consistency of a thick soup. Risotto is traditionally served before the main course in a shallow bowl.